Cove in Tuesday’s Scottish Cup draw


Cove Rangers 7 St Cuthbert Wanderers 2

Cove progressed comfortably through to the first round proper of the Scottish Cup by defeating St Cuthbert Wanderers.

The hosts came out sharply and created a couple of decent chances in the first few minutes. They opened the scoring in the 9th minute when Blair Yule’s effort on goal was blocked by a defender and the ball landed at Daryl Nicol’s feet, who thundered it past Wanderers keeper Ross Wilson.

It didn’t take much longer for Cove to double their lead and when Daniel Park’s corner came back to him and at the second attempt he floated the ball to the back post, where an unmarked Nicol was there to direct it into the net.

It only took another 12 minutes for Cove to extend their advantage and it came when Connor Scully’s cross wasn’t cleared by a St Cuthbert defender and Harry Milne had the composure to take a touch and then place the ball into the top-right corner.

Cove made it four in the 33rd minute when an inch-perfect through ball was dummied by Stuart Duff to send through Nicol, who took on the last defender and powered a shot into the top-right corner for his hat-trick.

Shortly afterwards Cove scored again as Park’s effort from outside the box took a slight deflection to take it past the visiting keeper.

St Cuthbert tried to mount a comeback as one minute later a long ball was punted over the Cove defence and Andrew Donely out muscled a defender to smash a shot past Cove keeper John McCafferty.

Was the comeback on? Two minutes after their first goal the visitors doubled their tally as McCafferty failed to collect a free-kick and the ball came to Donley at the edge of the box. He placed a shot past the many Cove defenders and St Cuthbert attackers in his way to score.

St Cuthbert came out for the second half more wary and defended a lot better, restricting Cove to having less chances than in the first half. It took until the 62nd minute for the next goal and that goal went to Cove. Nicol beat two St Cuthbert defenders and cut the ball back to Milne, who couldn’t miss from two yards out.

St Cuthbert goalkeeper Wilson went down and wasn’t moving so they had to make a change and bring on Ryan Cochrane. Thankfully Wilson walked off the pitch not needing a stretcher.

There was one more Cove goal to come, but it didn’t come till the 83rd minute when Jonathan Smith cut the ball across and Scully couldn’t miss to wrap up the win.