GOAL HERO: Jordon Brown, who netted in the 1-0 victory away to Turriff United.


Turriff United 0 Cove Rangers 1

Breedon Highland League
Saturday January 5, 2019
At The Haughs.

JORDON Brown was the goal hero for the second match in a row as Cove Rangers started the new year with a narrow  Breedon Highland League victory at The Haughs.
Brown struck early in the first half and might have netted at least a couple more on a chilly afternoon during which some wasteful finishing by Cove meant the young and energetic Turra team were always in with a chance of snatching something right up to the final whistle.
The expected resolute defending by the visitors ensured that didn't happen and allowed Cove to finish the day still five points clear at the top of the table.
Cove dominated the first half and Mitch Megginson and Jamie Masson both tested home keeper Fraser Hobday with long range efforts in the opening minutes.
Cove were unlucky not to go ahead in the 14th minute when Ryan Strachan's spectacular effort from 35 yards beat Hobday but rebounded to safety off the face of the Turriff crossbar.
The Cove players kept at it though and were rewarded with the opener two minutes later.
Daniel Park was the architect, finishing a swift passing move with a perfectly placed low cross from the right which BROWN battered home from the edge of the box, at the front post, to claim his 11th goal of the campaign.
Strachan should have made it two in the 25th minute when Masson cut a corner from the left into his patch but the defender steered his shot from 15 yards wide of the target.
Hobday was then the hero for Turriff with two stunning saves inside the space of a minute just before the half  hour.
Megginson danced past three defenders during a run to the edge of the Turriff area and his low shot was going in  until Hobday dived full length to finger tip the ball around his left post.
Masson took the resultant corner and found Scott Ross but his net bound shot was blocked near the line by a defender.
Masson then picked the ball up again and his cross was brilliantly flicked on by Megginson but he was denied again by another brilliant diving save from Hobday.
Brown missed a glorious chance for his and Cove's second only half a minute later.
Megginson's cross from the left found the former Aberdeen and Peterhead player totally unmarked at the far post but Brown directed his six yard header back across the face of the Turriff goal and wide.
Cove nearly  paid for their carelessness when Turriff almost stole an equaliser in the 38th minute.
Angus Grant found himself in some space inside the Cove area and was unlucky to see his shot from a tight angle come back off the outside of keeper Stuart McKenzie's left post.
Cove were less dominant in the second period, although they never really looked like conceding a goal, despite a spirited effort from the Turriff youngsters.
It might have been two when a sweeping move, begun by a McKenzie long throw out to Harry Milne, ended with Park's close range shot being blocked.
Megginson was also desperately unlucky on the hour when his deft back header, from a Masson free kick, went inches wide of Hobday's left post.
Cove's luck was out again three minutes later when Hobday made another decent save from Megginson and Park saw his effort from the rebound hit the woodwork.
Turriff pumped a few balls into the Cove area in the latter stages in a desperate effort to rescue a point.
But Cove held out to ensure they started the new year as they had  ended the last one...with a victory and yet another clean sheet.

TURRIFF UNITED: Hobday,Chalmers, Cairns, Grant (Cross 54),  Bowden, Strachan, Stuart, Taylor, Ewen (Smith 73), Ross, Ironside (Brown 82).
Subs: Ross, Tewnion, Reid, Taylor.

COVE RANGERS: McKenzie, Yule, Milne, Strachan, Ross, Kelly, Park, Brown (MacRae 83), Megginson, Scully, Masson (Ferguson 60).
Subs: Watson, Redford, MacLeod, Emmett, McCafferty.

Referee: Paul McAvinue.