ON THE MOVE: Jamie Masson heads for goal before scoring against Berwick.

COVE Rangers co-manager Graeme Mathieson and first team coach Roy McBain have been applauded for the way helped beat Berwick Rangers 4-0 in the first leg of their SPFL Pyramid Play-off final.
Graeme and Roy are leading the side while John Sheran, Cove’s other co-manager, is recovering from a heart attack.
John was back at Balmoral Stadium for the clash with Berwick, as a spectator.
It was Graeme and Roy who were in the Cove dugout, as they also were for both legs of the play-off semi win over East Kilbride.
Cove midfielder Jamie Masson, who scored the fourth goal against Berwick, feels the duo deserve credit for the job they have done during John’s enforced absence.
“Graeme and Roy were forced to take charge after what happened to John and they have been absolutely brilliant,” said Jamie.
“They are a bit like John is when it comes to motivation, the way they have fired us up for all three of the play off games so far is proof of that.
“Everyone has spoken about how desperate they are to get promoted for John but we want to do it for Graeme and Roy as well.
“They deserve some reward for all the effort they have put in all season, but particularly these last few weeks.”
Jamie was pleased John was there to see them beat Berwick to put themselves in a favourable position going into this Saturday’s second leg at Shielfield Park.
“He even came into the dressing room afterwards and gave every one of us a hug,” said Jamie.
“It’s great to see he is well on the road to recovery.”
The obvious highlight of the game for the former Aberdeen player was his goal, which was  the midfielder’s 13th of the campaign.
Jamie collected a great pass down the left from team-mate Harry Milne, cut inside past a defender and then curled in a shot from a tight angle that went across the face of the Berwick goal and in off the far post.
“I was really pleased with that one because I feel we deserved to get a fourth after the way the game had gone,” said Jamie.
“I had kind of lost my legs and was struggling to breath but when I saw their boy coming I took the ball past him then decided to get my head down and smash it.
“I was worried when I saw it hit the post but thankfully it went in, I was buzzing.”
While happy to be travelling to Berwick with a four goal lead, Jamie insisted nobody in the Cove camp is taking anything for granted with 90 minutes of the play-off final still to be played.
“We will be going into Saturday’s game as if it’s still 0-0 and looking to  start again,” he said.
“We will be going in with the same attitude as we have the last three games.
“The bad memories of losing to Cowdenbeath a year ago will help (Cove lost 3-2 to them on aggregate in last season’s final).
“I was totally gutted when that happened, it took me about three weeks to recover.
“I don’t want to be feeling like that again this weekend.”


GET IN THERE: Jamie Masson watches his shot head for the net in the victory over Berwick Rangers.