SCREAMER: Declan Glass, centre, celebrates scoring the late winner against Cowdenbeath for Cove Rangers with team mates Jamie Masson and Connor Scully (PICTURES BY NEWSLINE, SCOTLAND).

Cove Rangers 3 Cowdenbeath 2

Ladbrokes League Two
Saturday August 17, 2019
At Balmoral Stadium

A LAST GASP wonder goal from Declan Glass was enough to give Cove a narrow but deserved victory over Cowdenbeath and keep them on top of the Ladbrokes League Two table.
The Blue Brazil looked to have stolen a point after fighting back from two down to draw level.
But any hope of that was wiped out when midfielder Glass, who is on loan to Cove from Dundee United, netted with an amazing long range effort with virtually the last kick of the ball.
He had netted an equally impressive effort earlier in the half to put Cove 2-0 up so it was no surprise to see Glass pick up the man-of-the match award from sponsors Fairways Sports Promotions.
Latest signing Fraser Fyvie was given a start and also impressed as he helped Cove dominate possession from start to finish.

Cove had a strong penalty claim turned away in the seventh minute when Chris Antoniazzi was clearly pushed in the back by Craig Barr.

But Cove kept pressing and were rewarded with the opener in the 17th minute.
Harry Milne slipped the ball through to Jamie
MASSON and he showed tremendous composure as he side-stepped a defender to create space to drill a low shot home from 15 yards for his fourth goal of the campaign.


Cove looked to have made it 2-0 in the 20th minute when Milne netted from close range but referee Colin Steven ruled the effort out for a hand ball during the build up.
Connor Scully hit a 20 yard free-kick wide of the target as the one-way traffic continued.
Cove were forced to make a change just after the half hour, with skipper Mitch Megginson limping off to be replaced by Matty Smith.
Cove had a second, even stronger, penalty claim turned away in the 33rd minute when Milne was clearly tripped as he advanced into the Cowdenbeath area.
The Cove full-back’s frustration was compounded when referee Steven also booked him for simulation, even though it was a clear foul.
Cowdenbeath served a warning about how dangerous they could be when Kris Renton hit a shot off the face of Stuart McKenzie’s left post in the 35th minute after a rare attack from them.
Striker Smith had two chances to put Cove further ahead before the interval.
The first was after collecting a splendid through pass from Ryan Strachan but Smith’s shot was blocked by Cowdenbeath keeper Kevin Dabrowski.
Smith then broke into the Cowdenbeath area on the right but delayed his shot, which was again beaten away by Dabrowski.
Masson latched on to the rebound and passed to Fyvie and his 16 yard just cleared the crossbar.
It was more of the same in the second period as Cove pushed for a second.
Masson wasn’t too far off the mark with an 18-yard curler before then seeing his low drive from the edge of the area held by Dubrowski.
Glass should have scored in the 55th minute but steered his shot from the edge of the six yard box.
GLASS made up for that in 61st minute by claiming the second in sensational style.
The midfielder collected the ball just inside the Cowdenbeath area, on the right, and gave Dabrowski no chance with an unstoppable right foot shot into the top corner.
Cowdenbeath were gifted a route back into the game when referee Steven awarded them the softest of penalties, for a Milne challenge on Archie Thomas.
Fraser MULLEN gave McKenzie no chance from the spot.
Cowdenbeath stunned Cove by drawing level in the 77th minute when David COX fired home from the edge of the area.
They probably thought that would be enough for them to pinch a point but GLASS had other ideas.
The game had moved into the first minute of injury-time when the midfielder collected the ball 25-yards out and rifled an astonishing left foot shot past Dabrowski that will surely be a candidate for goal of the season.
It was no more than Cove deserved.


COVE RANGERS: McKenzie, Yule, H Milne, Strachan, Higgins, Scully, Fyvie, Glass, Masson, Antoniazzi (Robertson 70), Megginson (Smith 32).
Subs: Kelly, Ross, Redman, Brown,  Demus.

COWDENBEATH: Dabrowski, Hamilton, Mullen, Todd, Barr, Miller, Cox, Buchanan, Smith, Thomas, Renton.
Subs: Valentine, Herd, Connolly, Taylor, Whyte, Glass, Sneddon.

Referee: Colin Steven.