STRIKE ONE: Mitch Megginson celebrates scoring the opener in our 3-0 victory over Albion Rovers.

Cove Rangers 3 Albion Rovers 0

Ladbrokes League Two
Tuesday October 29, 2019
At Balmoral Stadium

A DOUBLE from skipper Mitch Megginson and a fine header by centre-back Scott Ross were enough to help Cove Rangers see off Albion Rovers at Balmoral Stadium in Ladbrokes League Two.
Cove could and should have won by a lot more as they peppered the Rovers goal with shots - 26 in total over the 90 minutes - but were denied by a series of fine saves by visiting keeper Daniel Potts, who must have been shattered after the shift he put in.
Megginson fired us ahead inside the first half hour but it was the final quarter of the game before the other goals came to ensure we remain top of the table as we move into the second quarter of our league campaign.
There was no doubt the victory was well deserved on a night when the crowd of 633 were treated to some impressive passing football by Cove - and an outstanding shift from midfielder Connor Scully, who was deservedly chosen as man of the match by sponsors Kerloch Oil Tools.
Cove dominated possession right from the off but had to be patient as they went about breaking down the compact Rovers defence.
Fraser Aird saw a low shot saved after nine minutes as Cove kept pushing forward and they were almost camped inside the Rovers half from that point on.
Their patience on the ball was rewarded with a cracker of an opener, in the 25th minute.

KEY MOMENT: Fraser Aird fires in the shot that was blocked and led to our first goal against Albion Rovers.

Fraser Fyvie began the move with a splendid pass to send Aird clear on the right and he advanced into the Rovers area before seeing his shot parried by keeper Potts - MEGGINSON was on hand though to knock the rebound home from close range.
Cove then created chance after chance but give the dogged Rovers defenders their due, they worked tirelessly and dug in when needed.
It helped that Potts also played the game of his life.
Declan Glass tested Potts with a 20-yard shot before Daniel Higgins set Jamie Masson up for a shot that was deflected wide as the one way traffic continued.
The Rovers goal lived a particularly charmed life in the latter stages of the first half.
Fyvie won the ball in the middle of the park then clipped it forward to Masson, who saw his low drive held by Potts.
Glass then saw a net-bound shot beaten away by the keeper after making a clever run into the area.
Masson followed that by picking Aird out on the left wing with a brilliant cross field pass but the Canadian international’s shot from the edge of the area curled wide of the far post.
Aird also played a clever one-two with Glass before seeing another effort beaten to safety by the over worked Potts.
Seconds before the break, Masson passed to Megginson and his shot was scrambled away from the line by one of the Rovers defenders.
It was more of the same after the interval, with the second half starting with Potts holding yet another shot from Glass.
The on-loan Dundee United midfielder then went on a great run into the Rovers area only to then see his shot go across the face of the goal and wide.
Masson tried again with a 22-yard effort that only just went wide of Potts’ left post.
Aird was cursing his luck just after the hour when his excellent volley looked to be going in until Potts dived full length to make an impressive save.
Daniel Higgins went forward to have a go but sliced his shot into the path of Megginson, who then saw his powerful drive brilliantly saved by Potts.
Masson then hammered in a shot from distance but Potts frustrated Cove again by getting his finger tips to the ball to deflect it over the crossbar.
Potts was the Rovers hero again with another top class save from Aird to push the winger’s shot wide, but he was finally beaten again in the 75th minute - from the resultant corner.
Aird took it from the right and ROSS got above the Rovers defence to power an excellent header through a posse of players and into the net from 12 yards for his first goal of the season.
The superb Scully was the architect of the third, in the 78th minute, that made sure we bounced  back from two recent defeats with a well earned victory.
The move began with the midfielder breaking up a Rovers attack at the edge of his own area and ended with Scully getting up the park to feed a perfect pass through to MEGGINSON, who saw his first shot blocked but then gave Potts no chance with a powerful drive off the rebound to claim his 10th goal of the campaign.
Fyvie almost made it four in the 86th minute when his cross from wide on the left evaded Potts but then rebounded to safety off the top of the crossbar, but Cove already done more than enough to earn the three points.

COVE RANGERS: McKenzie, Yule, Milne, Ross, Higgins, Aird (Scott 84), Scully, Fyvie, Glass (Brown 84), Masson (Smith 84), Megginson.
Subs: Redford, Redman, Robertson, McCafferty.

ALBION ROVERS: Potts, Lynas (Stewart 46), Clarke, Phillips, Fagan, Morena (Scally 67), Roberts, Graham, Osador, Byrne, East (See 46).
Subs: Docherty, Smith, McDonald, Fee.

Referee: David Lowe.

Attendance: 633.

STAR MAN: Connor Scully was chosen as man of the match by sponsors Kerloch Oil Tools.